Wednesday 9 May 2007

Wherein the author returns briefly from her tea break

I can't decide whether "incommunicado" is more khaki trouser or Caribbean island. Here are the basic usages, in context:

ONE, incommunicado, in+(Span.)communicado, island so called because of its equitable distribution of avocado

"So, where will you be spending the summer?" asks Fifi, ruminating on a finger nail.
"I'll be in Communicado," I reply, driving Fifi stark raving jealous with visions of pina coladas, coconuts, and ukeleles by the sea.

TWO, incommunicado, in+(Jap.)communicado, past participle of communikarate, to wear khaki trousers in combat situations. Also slang (U.S.) "to go communicado", to wear no underpants (beneath one's walky-talky).

Guerilla freedom fighter (possibly Caribbean) crawls through the jungle in camouflaged
communicado pants. Perhaps, come to think of it, he's doing a communicado crawl. Will he be able to reclaim the coconut stash? Will his ukelele give him away? Stay tuned for the next exciting episode of Guerillas in the Mist.

So, anyway, I've been in Communicado for the last couple of days, so much so that my valiant progenitress called the Mobile Telephone of Doom last night, boldly dialing where no parent (of mine) has dialed before. The Harlots Senior had been not a little concerned to hear via Your ABC news of a serious assault at their offsprung's workplace. (On which: it's a sad deed indeed, but it makes me glad that, though steak knives remain readily available in this here hard-boiled town, semi-automatic weaponry does not.)

Further tales of What I did During my Holiday in Communicado are on the menu. I'll be right back.

5 comments:

TimT said...

Ah! In Communicado. I know, it's right next door to Cognito, Expensive, Valuable, and my favourite place for holiday respite, Capacitated. Lovely spot!

Alexis, Baron von Harlot said...

Time for a spot of Bunburying, methinks.

TimT said...

Sunburying would be easier, though for the wilde at heart, there's nothing like Bunbury.

Alexis, Baron von Harlot said...

And, of course, Thornbury.

JahTeh said...

"Going Commando" has always fascinated me. Do commandos really go "commando" and if they do, why? It would seem to me to be more sensible to wrap it tight rather than let it travel willy nilly on a dangerous mission. timt, your valuable contribution is welcomed on this matter.