Wednesday, 18 April 2007

Preaching to the choir

None of you will have guessed this, but back in my misspent youth, I had, well, moments, of nerdiness. I wouldn't want anyone to think that I was an out-and-out nerd, but I can't deny that it was a category in which I dabbled. I was, for instance, captain of the year 9 chess team. And a library monitress. And a paid-up, card-carrying member of the CSIRO Double Helix Science Club. I debated (oh yeah, Madam Chair). I spent an inordinate amount of time with the dictionary. I routinely failed to catch balls. I was a Girl Guide. And a chorister.

Later on, as you all know, I turned hip as. I dyed my hair blond, pierced both nostrils, and pursued the surfing/modelling/hard-rockin' line I excel in to this day. Barely a day goes by when I don't overhear some 18-year-old lady telling her friends that in ten years' time she wants to be just like me. You bet she does, what with me being such a cool cat and all.

But it's tough, being the arbiter of avant garde, and in a moment of nostalgia last week for that misspent youth of mine, I decided to audition for a choir. I figured that what I lose in street cred I'll make up for in regular exposure to Handel. That's if I get in, of course. It's been a million years since I was in a choir, and I fear that in my relentless pursuit of cool, I've rather neglected my choral diction.

It's two weeks until the audition, so I have a bit of time to practice. I'm going to do a William Byrd number, "Adoramus te", and then they'll fling something at me I'm supposed not to have seen before. I'm one of the worst sight-singers I've ever met, so my plan is to learn the entire canon of western choral music in the next fortnight.

Nerd? Moi?

5 comments:

TimT said...

Hallelujah!
Hallelujah!
Hall-e-e-lu-u-jah!

Karen said...

You're such a Renaissance woman and I feel so lazy in comparison!

Incidentally, I think you are more properly a geek rather than a nerd and geeks can be very fashionable in certain circles.

blue_haired_jennifer said...

Don't be ashamed if in your youth
You felt the longing to DEBATE-
Those times are gone, and nowadays
It pays well to ADJUDICATE.

alexis said...

Tim, yep, I know that one. I've got the alto part of The Messiah more or less under control.

Karen: me? A geek? Weren't you listening? I am über-cool; it's just that I dally occasionally in the realms of nerd (or geek, if you prefer). But thank you. I realise how kindly intended that comment was.

Jennifer, quite right. Although when last I was peddling round the debate adjudication circuit, the NSW state education folks were paying a measley $35 per adjudication. Best to crack into the private school sector, if you can.

Anonymous said...

wow gold
wow gold
wow power leveling
wow power leveling
wow power leveling
wow powerleveling
wow powerleveling
wow powerleveling
World Of Warcraft power leveling
World Of Warcraft power leveling
World Of Warcraft power leveling
World Of Warcraft powerleveling
World Of Warcraft powerleveling
World Of Warcraft powerleveling
wow power level
wow power level
wow power level
cheap wow power leveling
cheap wow power leveling
cheap wow powerleveling
cheap wow powerleveling
codeheart article
Warcraft Gold
World of Warcraft Gold
cheap wow gold