Tuesday 17 April 2007

The difference between riot and wrong

Ah! Essay marking! So many vagrant apostrophes; so many idiosyncratic spellings. We've been through this before: it is outrageously improper of me to publicise young essayists' private misadventures with nineteenth-century English literature and twenty-first-century English orthography. Outrageous. Improper. A breach of trust. But I have to book myself in in advance for some heartfelt remorse because I cannot resist this, "Blake critiques the self-riotous hypocrites", or this, "William Warkworth wrote and co-composed many poems, odes, songs and sonnets", or this, "Today's ecological awareness has partly been influenced by the work of Wordsworth, who has inspired several people worldwide to consider the environment as a beautiful gift." Several? Come on, now, you don't want to exaggerate or nuffin.

"Self-riotous" is gorgeous. Revolutionary narcissists of the world unite!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't see what's so very strange. I get very self-riotous late at night and am relieved to hear that Blake knew the mood too.

Anonymous said...

I too will have some remorse at laughing at my student's expense, but I can't resist reporting that last night I encountered a sentence involving "Captain Cock" having "overcome great hardship." Ahem.

Mr Mean said...

Yet one (or several?) would be hard-pressed to find a logical flaw in the statement about Wordsworth inspiring several people. After all, "three out of the four coins on the table had heads facing up," could be a valid, factual and true statement even if all four coins had heads facing up.

Alexis, Baron von Harlot said...

Karen, m'dear, I hope you'll read this as the compliment it's meant to be: you are not a reliable index of normality. Self-riotousness (more power to it) is not orthodox. Which is not to say that it shouldn't be.

Eek, Julieanne. Reminds me of the Latin translation I once produced, without the least selfconsciousness, in a high school exam. Three men leapt precipitately from behind a cupboard. My rendering: "And then they jerked themselves incontinently out." Caused great mirth amongst the Latin teachers.

Mr Mean: Yes. Indeed. You make a fine point. I will mention the coins to my wordsworthy friend.

Anonymous said...

I do believe that that is the very nicest way anyone has ever put it to me!

Anonymous said...

Our home is pretty darn self-riotous at the moment. Too many children. Too many cats. Too much paper. Too many board games. Too many banana skins that have not made it into the bin.

In the words of a certain female comedian of similar age and stage to myself, I feel I shall soon start stalking around the house in search of small prey whom I shall direct in a shrill voice to Tidy Their Room At Once.

There, I feel much better now! Thanks, Alexicon!

Anonymous said...

Dear, oh dear Lexi... oh, to be a Latin teacher!!!

And Julieanne, I enjoyed your report very much - it's a different twist on that oldie about Bass and Flinders circumcising Australia with their twelve-foot cutter. Ahem, indeed.

Alexis, Baron von Harlot said...

Ach, Woolly, sorry to hear about the superfluity of banana skins. What can you do? I'd suggest a round or two of "who can put away the most board games?" but methinks the little spaniels are too cunning to fall for that one. Here's an hug.

JahTeh said...

At last, a description I can use since I am definitely self-riotous.

Let me ad to the lewdness of the comments with a description of someone known to myself and Brownie, 'he was an ego with a dick hanging off it' and I can say he was.

Alexis, Baron von Harlot said...

Eek, JT. That doesn't sound like a happy acquaintanceship.